Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The gym

I have a love / hate relationship with the gym. As a plus size girl, it can be really uncomfortable going to work out in front of all the pretty people. Mostly though, it's motivation. Being motivated, getting up off my butt to go and put the time in.

I used to belong to one gym, several years ago and I hated it. It was like torture. Walking on a treadmill is one of the most boring things on the planet! Unfortunately, that was really my only option at this gym, that and the elliptical. This particular gym didn't have a lot of equipment options and I had no idea how to use the weight machines.

When I joined, I signed up for 3 years, bad, BAD idea. I was good for maybe the first 6 months and then got bored with it. I went off and on after that for a year, then just stopped all together. What a waste of money!

I didn't quit working out all together, I love walking and would walk all over my neighborhood and around this park near my home at the time. I just couldn't go to the gym and walk on the treadmill, I just couldn't do it!

Several months ago mom and I decided to join a gym together. We could go together and help motivate each other. We chose a gym that has a pool, lots of different equipement and is very quiet, not a meat market, a place we'd both feel comfortable.

I went in very motivated, I didn't have a goal in mind, what was most important to me was to just be healthier. Mom has a weight goal, so she decided to get a personal trainer one day a week.

It's really worked out great. We started out going to aqua aerobics 3 days a week, on the day mom worked out with her trainer, I just work out by myself and then one day a week, we do a little time on the elliptical, then she shows me some of what she's learning from her trainer, mostly how to use the weight machines.

At first I was really motivated and was going at least 5 days a week. That routine lasted for the first month, now I would say I average 4 days a week. I'm pretty proud of myself. I've lost close to 20 pounds and dropped 2 pants sizes. I look better, I feel better and I'm truly enjoying working out.

I'm going to the gym for me, just me, nobody else. If I lose another 20 pounds, great, if not, that's fine. I am a plus size girl and I like it that way:)

No comments:

Post a Comment