Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My 12 mile challenge

Last week, Derek, my friend Meredith and I hiked the fort to sea trail. It's 12 miles round trip.

I wasn't sure I could do it, I've never hiked that far in one day. I had a couple months to get ready, but I didn't do much as I could or should have. I just didn't know what to expect.

I did the obvious things to get ready. I bought a back pack, a good pair of walking/hiking shoes, thick socks, a bladder for my pack, I took some long walks, wore my new shoes every day, but I should have done more.

All in all, I did really well on the hike. At the half way point, I had an out, I could have called Meredith's husband to come get me, but I didn't. It was a huge accomplishment for me to walk the 6 miles, I wanted to go even bigger and do the whole 12.

It was hard and my shoes killed my feet (the thing I should have done was get those good and broken in before I hiked that far, my blisters had blisters!), but even as hard as it was and as tired and sore as I was, it was one of the most awesome things I've ever done.

I am excited and very much looking forward to future hikes. First things first, I need to get my shoes broken in, plus I need to use the treadmill at the gym to strengthen my legs and get them more in shape for hills. If it was flat, I could probably have walked 20 miles, it's the hills that killed me.

I have to say a HUGE thank you to Derek and Mer, I don't think I could have done it without them. They were so supportive and stuck by me. I was hurting and probably not very much fun to be around, but they helped pull me through.




No comments:

Post a Comment